Louis Postel has been writing about design, homes, interiors, building and materials science, architecture, and art for over thirty years.
He has also created or co-created several award-winning design magazines and blogs, including Design Times, New England Home, and Ask Louis (for Graphisoft USA).
Postel has been at this since 1986, writing and developing stories, primarily for art for editors, publicists, marketers, and publishers, as well as for his own ventures.
His current blog Ask Louis for Graphisoft USA is read by designers, architects, and builders throughout the country.
Three decades ago, Postel recast a custom publication he created called Condo Life into the award-winning glossy Design Times. From 2005-2017, Postel created and wrote New England Home’s defining column, Trade Secrets covering design innovations and developments through interviews with leading regional designers and architects. In the same period, Postel created and wrote Design Showcase as well as feature stories for Showboats International the leading publication for mega yacht owners.
In 2005, he led a multimedia reputation management campaign, overseeing the gamut from editorial strategy to special events, for one the largest art dealers in the world, a $1+ billion company based in the Midwest.
Additionally, he was tapped by leading design exchanges such as The New York Design Center, Chicago’s Merchandise Mart, and The New Jersey Decorating Exchange to conceive, develop and produce 100+ page glossy custom publications. In his 20+ years as a freelance writer, Postel has contributed hundreds of freelance articles on design and luxury to publications such as Boston Magazine, Robb Report, Wynn, Worth, and Audio Video Interiors.
Presidential Citation Award │ American Society of Interior Designers/New England (ASID/NE)
Unsung Hero Award │ Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS (DIFFA)
Graphisoft USA | Contributing Blogger | 2015—Present
- Writing long-form stories on innovators in the mass customization of architecture.
- Recent articles on biomimetic glass, neuro-architectural studies, active matter, and more
Writing for Results | Boston, MA | Founder | 2013—Present
- Developed an entrepreneurial and job readiness writing workshop for inmates in Massachusetts prisons
Showboats International | Fort Lauderdale, FL | Founding/Senior Editor | 2004—2017
- Developed Design Showcase, a new editorial department for Showboats International, the world’s leading mega yacht publication
- Interviewed nearly all of the major luxury yacht designers, from Gregory C. Marshall in Canada to Francois Zuretti in France
New England Home| Boston, MA | Founding/Senior Editor | 2005—2007
- Co-founded this influential regional Architectural Digest, successfully acquired in 2007 by Network Communications Inc., the largest publisher of real estate magazines in the country
- Invented the editorial and design roadmap for the bi-monthly magazine, recruiting major players of the high-end architectural, construction, interior design, landscape design and custom furnishings industries
- Served on the executive management team collectively responsible for all senior-level hires
- Conducted a successful roadshow with the Publisher which built the initial cadre of advertisers that paved the way for the magazine’s launch
Design Times| Boston, MA | Founder/Editor-in-Chief | 1988—2003
- Created and launched a groundbreaking publication focusing on the work of both major and emerging designers
- Steered the publication to a series of “firsts” as part of an ongoing commitment to innovation:
- Possessed the distinction of being the among the first design-oriented glossies with a regional focus
- Introduced technological innovations into the design and production process
- Served as one of the first home design magazines to attract and retain major national advertisers
- Negotiated national distribution contracts with Barnes & Noble and Curtis Circulation
- Drove publication growth from zero to over $2 million in revenue, and engineered its successful acquisition in 2002
- Secured interviews and exclusives with a long list of style celebrities, including Ivana Trump, Adrienne Vittadini, Diane von Furstenberg, Juan Montoya, Mary Douglas Drysdale, William Hodgins, Jane Seymour and Cheryl Tiegs; also featured the work of nationally-acclaimed writers such as Chippy Irvine and Alexandra Stoddard
“Our website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about. Our editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”