Lately, I have been leading writing workshops in prisons until COVID closed them down. Now I’m doing what I can from the sidelines.
Before the prison work, from 1986 to 2013 (a long time!), I wrote for and created design publications; while Design Times ended its run in 2000, New England Home continues to enjoy unprecedented success.
AWARD & CERTIFICATES
Presidential Citation Award │ American Society of Interior Designers/New England (ASID/NE)
Unsung Hero Award │ Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS (DIFFA)
AWA (Amherst Writers & Artists) Certified Writing Workshop Leader
Writing for Results | Boston, MA | Founder | 2013—2020
- Developed an entrepreneurial and job readiness writing workshop for inmates in Massachusetts prisons
Graphisoft USA | Contributing Blogger | 2015—2018
- Writing long-form stories on innovators in the mass customization of architecture.
- Recent articles on biomimetic glass, neuro-architectural studies, active matter, and more
Showboats International | Fort Lauderdale, FL | Founding/Senior Editor | 2004—2017
- Developed Design Showcase, a new editorial department for Showboats International, the world’s leading mega yacht publication
- Interviewed nearly all of the major luxury yacht designers, from Gregory C. Marshall in Canada to Francois Zuretti in France
New England Home| Boston, MA | Founding/Senior Editor | 2005—2007
- Co-founded this influential regional Architectural Digest, successfully acquired in 2007 by Network Communications Inc., the largest publisher of real estate magazines in the country
- Invented the editorial and design roadmap for the bi-monthly magazine, recruiting major players of the high-end architectural, construction, interior design, landscape design and custom furnishings industries
- Served on the executive management team collectively responsible for all senior-level hires
- Conducted a successful roadshow with the Publisher which built the initial cadre of advertisers that paved the way for the magazine’s launch
Design Times| Boston, MA | Founder/Editor-in-Chief | 1988—2003
- Created and launched a groundbreaking publication focusing on the work of both major and emerging designers
- Steered the publication to a series of “firsts” as part of an ongoing commitment to innovation:
- Possessed the distinction of being the among the first design-oriented glossies with a regional focus
- Introduced technological innovations into the design and production process
- Served as one of the first home design magazines to attract and retain major national advertisers
- Negotiated national distribution contracts with Barnes & Noble and Curtis Circulation
- Drove publication growth from zero to over $2 million in revenue, and engineered its successful acquisition in 2002
- Secured interviews and exclusives with a long list of style celebrities, including Ivana Trump, Adrienne Vittadini, Diane von Furstenberg, Juan Montoya, Mary Douglas Drysdale, William Hodgins, Jane Seymour, and Cheryl Tiegs; also featured the work of nationally-acclaimed writers such as Chippy Irvine and Alexandra Stoddard.